Monday 1 April 2013

Evaulation:In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


My music video uses conventions from real media products. To make sure my video kept to the conventions of other music videos of the genre I did research into those videos. I used this analysis to help me when developing the original storyboard. When developing my music video storyboard I would use the conventions discovered through my analysis to make sure that it fitted in with the genre. The conventions that I found through the analysis included close-ups of the artist, use of mirrors and the use of more natural locations.
The use of close-ups and mirrors also relates to Andrew Goodwin’s codes and conventions of a music video. One of Andrew Goodwin’s conventions includes the notion of looking. This could be anything from; television screens, mirrors, people looking at each other or at the audience. In my video I have used the artist looking into the mirror and also looking at the audience. Another of Andrew Goodwin’s conventions include record companies demands for exposure of the artist through the use of close ups. I have also used that for this reason.
My video also relates to the connection between lyrics, music and visuals. Some examples of when I use a relation between music and visuals appear around 2 minutes into the song. At this point in the song the word hunters is repeated in an almost chant like manner. Every time the word is repeated there will be a different shot of either the artist singing or running from the other ‘character’. An instance where I use a relation between lyrics and visuals is around 1:50 into the video. At this point the lyrics “starts so soft and sweet, and turns them to hunters” shows the two ‘lovers’ embracing before cutting to another shot of the artist running on the next line of “hunters”. This relates to the warning of “be careful of the curse, that falls on young lovers”.

No comments:

Post a Comment