Thursday 20 September 2012

Journal: 20/09/2012- Choosing a name

After deciding my song choice and genre I had to think about what name I would give my artist. I did not want it to be an ordinary name and at first wanted it to be only one name like 'Madonna' or 'Rihanna'.
The song I have picked is 'Howl' by Florence + the Machine. Due to this being an Alternative track I did not want the name to sound too much like a Rock artist but I also didn't want it to sound too Bubblegum Pop.
Here are some names that I came up with:
Victoria- Not picked due to be a little too plain and old fashioned

Manhattan- Not picked due to being unrelated to both the song choice and my idea for the artists look

Tippy- Named after the 1960s actress Tippy Walker. Not picked due to being a bit too cute.

Monroe- Named after the 1950s actress Marilyn Monroe. Not picked due to being a bit masculine. Marilyn was also a name that was discarded.

Hepburn- Named after the 1950s and 60s actress Audrey Hepburn. Not picked due to being a little too irrelevent. Audrey and Tiffany were other suggested names that were discarded.

Ruby Tuesday- Named after The Rolling Stones song. Not picked due to having too much of a relationship with an exsisting song and band.

Ruby Diamond- Inspired by the name Ruby Tuesday I wanted to find a word to replace 'Tuesday'. I then came up with the idea of the name being two precious minerals. This is the name I have decided to use for my artist. [READ UPDATE]


[UPDATE]
After some thought a new name idea came to me. This name still kept with the precious mineral theme but changed it to sound less like an actual name and more like a stage name, like 'Lady GaGa'. The name I have come up with is 'Fragile Diamond'. I feel like this name is appropriate for the style of my artist because she has the edge and toughness of a diamond but is not so hard that her music becomes rock, hence the fragile part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment